Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so I have a couple saws...

Default so I have a couple saws...

So it all started with a Little 1977 McCulloch Super Pro 81cc, then I got a 1965 60cc Homelite XL 12 which I ported and made an expansion pipe for. It will now run around 6000 rpm over stock, then a 1957 Pioneer RA 105cc, and then this saw a 1954 McCulloch Model 47. I picked up this saw about a year and a half ago. Finally got around to pulling it out of the box tonight. According to the service record (and the guy I got it from) the last time it ran was in 1973. A quick once over revealed a very dirty and clogged carb, whatever gas was in it has evaporated away over the past 40 years, and a sticky recoil. Otherwise it is in quite good shape. It looks as if it had very little use. I pulled the plug out and it was covered in storage oil, gave the cord a tug to see if there was spark..... And POW loads of it! So a little tickle with a drop of gas direct in the cylinder, and it roared back to life!! I am super impressed. I am going to pull out the carb, and fuel tank this week and give it a nice clean up. Cant wait to sink this beast into some wood. Oh its freaking heavy. Gear drive, also came with a 2 man auger attachment.

Last edited by uriedog; 02-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.

I've got a Pioneer p41, that my dad owned....Its from the early 70's i believe. (its older than my sister) I've got it tore down to rebuild it as it doesnt run anymore. Does yours have a chain brake? Mine doesnt. I also have a little frontier arborist saw I keep behind the back seat of my truck. I think its from the early 80s, but can't find any info on them. Its good to see those old saws still kicking.
    Monty

haha chain brake. Unfortunately none of my saws have chain brakes. The Homelite and 77 McCulloch are the only 2 that could have one fitted to them.

Oh ya just remembered there is one more saw, A mid 50's McCulloch D30 80cc

Kind of a neat item to collect. I don't know if I have seen a chainsaw from the 50s ,thanks for sharing.

Awesome way to save some old workhorses; My dad has a few of these little guys, they keep him busy tinkering and tuning.. although they always seem to work much better in the backyard than in the bush .

Quote Originally Posted by vicali View Post
    although they always seem to work much better in the backyard than in the bush .
    The 2 saws that are the lightest, and best to take for cutting firewood give me the most trouble.

The 2 heaviest saws (and oldest) are the most reliable. go figure

Very nice. I have an old Wright reciprocating saw that my Mom used when she was a kid. I have had it tucked away with the intention of someday restoring it.

I Like a Saw or Two too
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nice collection of Homelite saws. All running?

I just had my piped 1965 XL out 2 weeks ago. Running pretty good now, seems to be happiest cutting around 10,000 rpm. But can easily rev up to 12,000.

I noticed the yellow cased Pioneer up on the shelf.... tomorrow I'll get a picture of the green cased one I have, believe it's a bigger serious.... 49cc I believe but it's been a long time since I touched it. Cool collection for sure, I only have the old Pioneer and my Stihl 290 for practical use.