Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Green Monstah Build!

Default The Green Monstah Build!

Hi,

I made an earlier post in the quick introductions section, as I recently took purchase of 2012 Wrangler. I previously had an outfitted 2007 Tacoma that I could take little to zero credit for the build as I bought it already built.

This Jeep will be my first build, so, as this is my first build I am open to opinions and recommendations any of you may have.

With that said, I plan on turning it into an overlander, where I could take it to Alaska, Moab, Grand Canyon and perhaps even Baja and beyond (a family friend is driving to Argentina this winter )!

Since I plan on using it more as an overlander than a crawler, lifting, re-gearing and bigger tires are not on my radar yet.

My current plans for the near future is to add:
    -Air Compressor
    -Dual Battery Setup
    -Winch
    -HAM Radio
    -Fridge

Later I plan to look at a more permanent storage solution and sleeping arrangement (Trailer w/RTT or JK Habitat).

Since purchasing I have done some light cosmetic mod's. Swapped both the front and rear bumpers with the AEV/Call of Duty bumpers as well as add BFG Mud Terrains with the black Jeep wheels.

Last week I purchased some LED lights and the sPod (below) with which I plan on installing this weekend. I'll take some pics of the process in case any of your are interested and let you know how the install went!

OLC Member

Looks good so far.Love the colour. I am likeing these more and more. If the stars aline,I could see myself with a JK Habitat. Then I would take a tour and come out west to see all you kids out there.

Yeah, I'm loving the Jeep and I have been liking the JK Habitat, however I think it really limits the storage capability; where a trailer can help add storage, as well as give you the ability to leave base camp set up while going out and doing day trips.

I have the majority of the installs complete. I only have the Rigid flood lights left to install. I only ran into a couple issues. Here are some photos of the install.

The grille removed and the headlight removal process.

Testing the Low Beam

Testing the High Beam

It wasn't until I moved the Jeep when I realized the lights flicker when the DRL's are running. I ordered an AEV Procal calibrator to swap the DRL to the fog lights and this will cure the problem.

sPod Install

sPod install was easier, the only challenging bit was running cable down the A-pillar and trimming the cover above the windshield where the mount of the switches go, otherwise the install was clean and simple!

Switches

Nice Jeep man, I love the green too. I am an old Mopar guy, and have always had a soft spot for the Mopar Green!

my DH Bike Rebuild... powdercoated!!

I want a Wrangler Unlimited, but will live with the tried and true Cherokee for now. Still working!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
    Nice Jeep man, I love the green too. I am an old Mopar guy, and have always had a soft spot for the Mopar Green!

my DH Bike Rebuild... powdercoated!!

I want a Wrangler Unlimited, but will live with the tried and true Cherokee for now. Still working!! lol
    Love the bike, I've got a downhill bike too, but it looks pretty crappy in comparison! I mentioned in another post how it is the exact same colour as my grandma's old 70 Dodge Dart Swinger... loved that car too, that on was sold to a car collector.

Yeah, I love the old XJ's. I grew up learning to drive in an 89 Cherokee Laredo. It ended up with 250+ km on it an kept on ticking. I think we replaced literally everything mechanical on it but it was still a great ride! I was sad to see it go.

Completed the install of the Rigid Dually's. Had to alter the wiring supplied with the lights to work with the sPod, otherwise the install was simple.

Next up... trip out to Tofino for a week in November!

Anyone with recommendations of spots to hit?

Lights look good. I think I might have the wife talked into me picking up a Wrangler in the next year or so. Will be keeping the XJ for trailer duties and fun the Wrangler will be more for DD Duties.

XJ is great, just getting a little long in the tooth and needs some "bits" now. Love the XJ's, always have.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior83 View Post
    Completed the install of the Rigid Dually's. Had to alter the wiring supplied with the lights to work with the sPod, otherwise the install was simple.

Next up... trip out to Tofino for a week in November!

Anyone with recommendations of spots to hit?
    This is a cool picture.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior83 View Post
    Love the bike, I've got a downhill bike too, but it looks pretty crappy in comparison! I mentioned in another post how it is the exact same colour as my grandma's old 70 Dodge Dart Swinger... loved that car too, that on was sold to a car collector.

Yeah, I love the old XJ's. I grew up learning to drive in an 89 Cherokee Laredo. It ended up with 250+ km on it an kept on ticking. I think we replaced literally everything mechanical on it but it was still a great ride! I was sad to see it go.
    Is that a Norco?

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    This is a cool picture.
    Thanks, yeah, I haven't got a pic yet of the new lights in the daylight and I just thought I had to get one in on the first day after installing... turned out alright!