Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uriedog's 1992 Toyota Pickup

Default Uriedog's 1992 Toyota Pickup

Well finally got the picture posting thing all sorted out. So now I can start up my little build thread.

I sold my SURF and bought a 1992 Toyota extra cab pickup. I meant to start this when I got the truck, but never got around to it. I did however take a few photos along the way so I'll start this by bringing it up to speed!

First day home with the new truck

1992 22RE 5 speed

Box was a little rusty, not to worried when I bought it I had other intentions. Pulled the old topper off and the rusty box

And started to build a flat deck for it.

Took the old box to the dump ontop of the new deck

Then it was time for some suspension upgrade. The old springs had lost their sprung, the shocks were doing nothing at all.

I tried KYB offroad shocks this time, I have had OME and Bilstiens in the past and not been overly impressed. SO if I'm not going to be overly impressed I may as well save some money. So far pretty happy with them. The rear got some OME Dakar leafs. So far I really like them. The back of the truck came up over 5" once I installed these.

Next comes the trucs intended purpose. Picked it up last night. 7ft Valley camper. Sits on the truck quite nice. The back of the truck only sits down 3" with the 900lb camper on it, so the springs are doing their job.

The camper has been sitting for a while, and has some water damage. So next will be replacing a bunch of interior wood, as well as the bench tops.

The rest of the camper is very solid, and heater, fridge, and stove work great. Doubt I'll keep the water tank in there. It's probably pretty nasty. Also I hope to shed a few pounds off the overall weight. I was really looking for something a few hundred pounds lighter. But this one was the rite price very very cheap!

I'll keep updating as I go along.

enough photo diarrhea for tonight

Glad you figured out the photo posting. Your truck is looking good with that camper on there.

Nice and simple, I like it.

Started taking the interior out of the camper tonight. Just the areas that I know were leaking. Found a little bit of rot in a few spots. Nothing to major. I will be able to replace wood fairly easily. I am also going to remove some of the cabinets. Once I have the wood replaced I'll repaint the inside so that the remaining cupboards are nice and clean again.

Also forgot to post this pic yesterday. This camper belonged to an old guy from Salmon Arm. It was mounted on a North American 1983 Toyota Diesel Pickup. He put the names of all the countries he drove it to, it also went to all but 3 states in the US.

Yep! I'm not taking anything off the outside.Other then the old boat rack, the cause fo
    r the leaks.

got the rest of the water damaged wood (and then some ) out. decided to replace a little more then I thought at first. Also took out all unwanted cupboards and the old sink counter. I am going to put the sink back in. But the old water storage tank will be going to the dump. Another 2 sessions of tear out and I'll be ready to put the new wood in!

There was a big closet here in the back corner, it will be replaced with a gear drying rack of some sort. I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but this camper/truck is being built as a ski truck.

Took the truck off road this morning for the first time (sans camper) Actually it was more of a rescue mission on The Top of The World trail in McClean Creek Kaninaskis. A friend had some ignition issues late last night. We went back to get the truck and were unable to get it running. So we ended up towing / rolling it down the mountain side. Anyway the pickup did fine despite the open diffs. I will say it needs bigger tires for sure, these little 28" tires have a rough time rolling over stuff. Can't wait to get some 32" on there. I used to do the rock climbs on this trail with no issue in the SURF.

Oh ya after we got back to the store (easy spot for a tow truck to pick up my friend) A conversation officer was backing his truck up and ran into the side of my cab. Guess it'll be going in to the body shop

Last edited by uriedog; 07-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.

crappy deal on the dent... but good karma for helping out a buddy. Nice work on the camper, looks like a big job!

Still working on sealing up some leaks. only one left on the passenger side of the cab over bunk. I have a fan in there tonight to help speed the drying process. The wood is a little wet from the last rain storm. Found some new spots that could use some new silicone as well. Tomorrow once the silicone has cured I'll smack it with the hose again.

Started looking into the wiring a little. It looked quite a mess. Turns out it was just the end where the original owner had added little bits to make up length / repair bad spots and add a second battery. Once I am all done it'll have a single 7pin connector into the back of the truck. I hooked up a battery to test a few things out. Power to all clearance lights (need to replace them as they are pretty corroded) and all interior lights are working. The fridge does not seem to be working on 12v but i think it may just be a blown fuse, or bad connection in the fridge.

Not going to be getting much done on it for a couple weeks now. Have to do the visit family thing in Ontario.

Back home from Vacation!

Hopped in the camper to see if any of my leak repairs had leaked, no water that I could see or feel. So either the repair worked or not enough got through to stay wet. I am going to hose it down really good this weekend to be sure there are no more leaks. The top is getting an RV rubber coating anyway just to be 100% sure. Then I can start with repairs.

I did find some really small bugs around an old area of water damage (its one of the areas that I plan to replace the framing) So off to Totem for some RAID! Sprayed down the buggy area pretty good 3 times over about a 12 hour period. Then a forth and zip tied the nozzle down on the can, and let it empty out (with the door closed, and me outside) Went in a day later to check it out and there are now no signs of bugs. So with any luck they are all gone. I'll do some fine checking once I get the old wood out. May raid it again just to make sure.