Thread: Forestry Trunk Road Database - Alberta

OLC Member

Default Forestry Trunk Road Database - Alberta

Hi Folks,

I live in Alberta and there are plenty of great campsites all over the place. So much of this hobby is going out and exploring and discovering new places, but sometimes, you just want to get in your rig and head out.

Given there are several MILLION people within the Highway 2 Corridor, the parallel route of the Forestry Trunk Road makes for a great access point to some all-star camping. The trouble is, some of that area may be private land; it may not be easily accessible or perhaps it's easy to miss while going down the road. Taking off on a Friday and venturing into the bush can be fun, but a little bit of guidance on good campsights can potentially increase the enjoyment of it quite a bit. Further, not all of us (I dare say, the majority) want to be camped next to Franka and Ethel and their 15 screaming grandkids for a weekend -- which rules out the parks and pay-to-stay campgrounds a bit unless they are isolated sites.

I thought it'd be handy for this community to have a resource or a quick reference guide for good places to make camp. For instance, it'd be mighty frustrating if I made camp next to a mosquito-infested swamp when there was a beautiful place to park and fish and enjoy a cool mountain-lake breeze just a few kilometers down the road! This is especially true for many of us since we may only have a weekend to get out and get going, and that little bit of time might necessitate more planning. I hope that this is a tool that will centralize a bit of that planning for Overlanders in Alberta.

So to that end, I've put together this little form. By filling it out, your responses are recorded and we can then share that with the community for quick reference campsights along the FTR. It is anonymous and no data beyond what you type will be recorded.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...V6SXc6MQ#gid=0

What are the thoughts on this idea? Should there be more/less questions? Should it be abandoned entirely? This idea came to me in the shower this morning and I find I don't exactly bat 1000 with those notions, so I'd very much welcome feedback from the group.

Cheers
    Craig
    Last edited by craigwhitton; 06-12-2012 at 03:13 PM.

I think its a great Idea! For those of us that are local, and for those coming this way on an adventure.

Default Great idea

What a great idea!
    With something like this we can all help out the other guys.
    Next time I'm out there I'll fill in your form while I'm there so that it won't get forgotten when I get home.

Thanks for this. But one question? Where do we access the info when we're planning

OLC Member

Hi Yukonflyer,

Thanks for the kind words! Sadly it isn't as popular as I had hoped. I had intended to make the document public (which I can still do) but so far it has a grand total of...zero responses!

Still, I'm down with making it work if you are. Do you have a g-mail account? If you PM me your e-mail I can share it with you and we can work on it.

Kind regards
    Craig

OLC Member albertarooftoptenters's Avatar

Craig I hope that you can get more information added. I have travelled some of the ftr by far from end to end. The areas we have seen are awesome and if you want to just pull over to overnight take your pick.
    Last edited by albertarooftoptenters; 12-13-2014 at 09:34 AM.

OLC Member

New to the site and found your post - great idea and I live close and have traveled the area extensively from the Red Deer River to the Nordegg River. FYI - Alberta Parks is taking another run at turning the entire Bighorn Wildland Area into a park - again! That would eliminate most of the users/Albertans from access! Re-send the form - thanks

OLC Member

Is this still available? Hoping to do a late September run. Always nice to have as much info as possible.

OLC Member

Hi folks,

Due to the limited response, this is offline. Feel free to PM me if you have questions; I am happy to share my experiences.

Cheers
    Craig