Thread: Backroader Magazine Issue 3

OLC Member

Default Backroader Magazine Issue 3

Hi Everyone,
    Our Issue 3 has been out for a little while now and has been mailed to current 4WDABC members. If you have not received your copy, please send me your member number, name and address, and we'll get that sorted out right away. backroader@4wdabc.ca
    We did have a small issue with information in one of our stories, here is the update: http://www.4wdabc.ca/showthread.php?...roader-Issue-3

"Backroader Magazine
    Retraction: The unplanned adventure: From Bob to Roche Lakes
    At the time of writing the article some information was based upon local stories and lack of information from any map available of the region at that time. Recently (and after printing) clear information has been provided by local sources. In the last part of the story, there is mention of a passage through the Quilchena town, into the valley, through the Hamilton Creek Indian Reserve, through what was assumed was only grazing territory of Douglas Ranch and out to the local, public FSR roads.
    Douglas Ranch actually owns the land up there, they have it gated but not locked and they have been successfully fining people for trespassing. If anyone passes through the gate, onto their land, regardless of purpose, with no prior arrangement for access, they will be fined. There are apparently hidden cameras by the gate somewhere, your license plate shall be photographed and the local judge has already issued up to as many as 70 fines last year. A first time offense has been around $125, while multiple time offenses have been charged as high as $800 for trespassing.
    Passage through Hamilton Creek Indian Reserve is uncertain and no concrete information is known at this time about it.
    Passage through Quilchena Ranch, on the road that passes right through their front yard, is currently allowed, but please, be very respectful, say "Hi", and asking permission to pass is encouraged. Mike, one of the head guys there is extremely friendly and as long as you respect him and his land he allows access to this amazing and stunning valley.
    The Backroader sincerely apologizes for this inaccuracy and hopes you have a safe journey.
    The discussions about land access, ownership as well as blocking of access and gates is a never ending and heated debate. In this case the Backroader Magazine does not assume to know who is right or wrong, so please be cautious and proceed at your own risk. We should always respect the land, regardless of who owns it."

I hope you are all enjoying the magazine, feel free to send me stories, photos, comments, etc.

thanks for taking the time to post the retraction on OLC! shows dedication in your part, unfortunatly i think my 4WDBC membership lapsed and i didnt get one do they not send out notices for renewal?

OLC Member

It my pleasure, we try our best to make sure we have correct information, sometimes, not all of it gets to us in time.
    As far as I know Chris Grant (VP of the 4WDABC as well as membership coordinator) does send out reminders, usually via e-mail. Maybe something got lost along the way, sorry. If you resign, we'll send you a magazine and a new member 2012 sticker right away.
    Easiest way would be online at the website: http://www.4wdabc.ca/joinus.php?131-Join-Us
    We are finally doing it so that it is based upon a full year from the time you sign up, none of this annoying, end of the year thing. So if you sign up now, you're good until May 2013. We'll be getting another magazine out in the Fall.

yeah i will have to look into it, im at sea right now so renewing my membership is not high on my priority list considering i dont own a 4x4 anymore, can you just buy a sub to the magazine without joinging 4WDABC?

OLC Member

We are talking about that option, I don't have that in place just yet but give me a little time and we'll get it sorted out. I'll post up changes in here as well.
    We are selling it to the public through local businesses for $6.99 and have a promotion at special events where we sell it for $5.00 cash.
    If you want to just buy a copy, e-mail me and I will mail it personally.
    backroader@4wdabc.ca

Thanks
    Mat