Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Group runs for noobs

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by AxelR View Post
    What's a transit cluster? All of a sudden I feel inadequate.
    Please don't. I've seen videos of you driving your pickup truck (hut lake thread). I'd love to go 'wheeling with you someday.

transit cluster

Used by tow trucks and transport companies to tie down vehicles for transport. Will fit in a variety of frame holes to pull vehicles. Side pulls, rollovers, or cars without tow points. My buddy is a tow-truck operator and showed me these. Very handy because winch hooks don't fit any holes in frames.

The r and t hooks fit oval holes and resist dislodging. The mini-j hook is awesome too. Not designed for yanking, but work for normal stucks on vehicles with inadequate recovery points. Pretty much for emergency use only. But any stucks are almost always emergencies

I keep one of these in my truck year round, used mainly in the winter for ditch recovery of cars stuck in snow. My winch line doesn't have a hook, just a normal thimble that I use with a shackle.

Very handy for side pulls on vehicles to keep them from sliding further downhill.

OLC Member

Some of the best things to have don't even waste space in your rig; for example, a CPR certification and a wilderness first responder certification. And some sense of how to make basic field expedient repairs - blown ujoint, convert to 2wd, axle half, improvised arms, improvised leafs, start troubleshooting, etc.

And on that tangent I don't know why people take crappy low-quality tools in their rigs. Like those $30 kits in the blow molded cases tossed carelessly in the trunk. Really? Back in your garage when some crummy tool breaks you can just get another one. Out on the trail when you are doing some ridiculous trail-side repair like I've encountered more times than I can count, a broken wrench or something can turn a bad situation into a horrible one. And make sure you have the weird socket sizes and things for your particular rig. I carry all my good tools and a complete socket set for Land Rover, YJ, TJ, and JK so I can bail out my palls. My yota friends - they just never break down, or so they claim, so why carry tools for them?

2012.05.26-29 - Black Rock Desert by adventioneering, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by aleigh View Post
    Some of the best things to have don't even waste space in your rig; for example, a CPR certification and a wilderness first responder certification. And some sense of how to make basic field expedient repairs - blown ujoint, convert to 2wd, axle half, improvised arms, improvised leafs, start troubleshooting, etc.

And on that tangent I don't know why people take crappy low-quality tools in their rigs. Like those $30 kits in the blow molded cases tossed carelessly in the trunk. Really? Back in your garage when some crummy tool breaks you can just get another one. Out on the trail when you are doing some ridiculous trail-side repair like I've encountered more times than I can count, a broken wrench or something can turn a bad situation into a horrible one. And make sure you have the weird socket sizes and things for your particular rig. I carry all my good tools and a complete socket set for Land Rover, YJ, TJ, and JK so I can bail out my palls. My yota friends - they just never break down, or so they claim, so why carry tools for them?

2012.05.26-29 - Black Rock Desert by adventioneering, on Flickr
    How much does that weight? Looks like it take up a lot of room too. I'm a fan of good tools in a tool roll, takes up less space and is lighter. Granted its not as easy to find tools but its a catch 22.

The point about taking tools that are brand specific are dead on.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    How much does that weight? Looks like it take up a lot of room too. I'm a fan of good tools in a tool roll, takes up less space and is lighter. Granted its not as easy to find tools but its a catch 22.
    It's heavy but not so heavy I can't lift it myself. It's easy enough to move around, it's on rollers. Yes, it wastes space compared to rolls so if you are really space constrained probably not a good approach. Some advantages; better protection for the tools, a lot faster to work with, and you get the tool control with the liners.

I use this as my primary general purpose toolkit at my shop or also at job sites so it does double duty - it's not just for overlanding.

-cal

OLC Member

I was out bombing in a storm and realized another advantage to the case over rolls / bags - waterproof; probably not as much of an issue for the folks with the luxurious vehicles that features "sides" and a "roof". You can also sit on the case and/or use it for camp furniture.

2012.06.23 - Tinkham & Denny by adventioneering, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by aleigh View Post
    I was out bombing in a storm and realized another advantage to the case over rolls / bags - waterproof; probably not as much of an issue for the folks with the luxurious vehicles that features "sides" and a "roof". You can also sit on the case and/or use it for camp furniture.

2012.06.23 - Tinkham & Denny by adventioneering, on Flickr
    Please tell me you keep that tied down in your truck? Is it sitting on a funny angle too?
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Please tell me you keep that tied down in your truck? Is it sitting on a funny angle too?
    I shoulda moved it a little bit to the right, then it'd have had the greatest chance of crushing my skull in a highway accident. No I'd just used it recently, I ratchet strap it down. I've got a set of mac tie-down strips I need to put in and haven't gotten around to, the stock points are a pain for complex loads.

It's at an angle because the JK has a cubby so the bed isn't flat.

soo... group runs for noobs...

OLC Member

Just joined and have been perusing the info in this forum...
    Some great stuff here.

Has any of these newbie runs ever materialized?

Not that I know of but it would be nice to start.