Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group runs for noobs

Default Group runs for noobs

Thanks to sixty8chev for this one.

How about a group rides for newbies post ( I know group rides never actually happen on OLC,, but it is good information )
    Something like:

1 See etiquitte #1, save the drinks for the campsite
    2 Make sure you have minimum requirements, ( ie, recovery points, emergency kit, basic tools,etc)
    3 BE ON TIME
    4 Make sure you have enough time, nobody else wants to turnaround at noon to head home for your girlfriends cats birthday
    5 Don't be afraid to ask questions beforehand ( ie, will there be pinstriping involved) and make your decision before the group is three hours in the bush
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Thanks to sixty8chev for this one.

How about a group rides for newbies post ( I know group rides never actually happen on OLC,, but it is good information )
    Something like:

1 See etiquitte #1, save the drinks for the campsite
    2 Make sure you have minimum requirements, ( ie, recovery points, emergency kit, basic tools,etc)
    3 BE ON TIME
    4 Make sure you have enough time, nobody else wants to turnaround at noon to head home for your girlfriends cats birthday
    5 Don't be afraid to ask questions beforehand ( ie, will there be pinstriping involved) and make your decision before the group is three hours in the bush
    Sounds like a plan to me!!

OLC Member

Default Basic Equipment List for n00bs.

I'm sure there's more, but here's a starter list.

on your truck:
    - full size spare tire. Wheel lock key(!) if equipped with locks.
    - full tank of gas
    - solid frame-mounted front and rear recovery points (trailer hitch counts as rear point)
    - tire pressure gauge. Airing down your tires to 1/2 of the recommendation on the door jamb is a good starting point for 'wheeling
    - trash bag for trash. Full size 'contractor' type bags are recommended.
    -

in your truck or on your person:
    - sturdy footwear for drivers and passengers. flipflops not recommended. boots/hikers preferred
    - work gloves, flash light
    - raingear and spare clothes, appropriate for inclement weather
    - cooler with water, fruits, sandwiches and snacks in case of delays or awesome*
    -

optional but recommended equipment:
    If you're new to this, check out what's popular for recovery gear before buying your own. No need to spend $2k on a winch bumper and winch and synthetic rope with full recovery bag just to go explore somewhere on your first stocker friendly group run.
    - air compressor for airing up tires
    - cb radio for communication
    - recovery equipment: straps, 3/4" shackles, hi-lift, etc
    - saw, axe, shovel, first aid kit, emergency kit
    - camera
    -

*in case of awesome = trail carnage or damage, or bad stuck requiring difficult recovery. The stuff that will be talked about for years...
    Last edited by 86tuning; 05-27-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added some stuff

i might be wrong but recovery equipment should not be in the "optional" heading, i think at minimum you should have shackels, and a kenetic recovery strap for your rig. communication is pretty big to... even if it is a set of crappy tire 2 ways.

After doing some runs with a VHF HAM radio I would not do anything less for coms. I have used (or tried) CB and there range is brutal. With my little hand held VHF (5 Watt) I have gotten 20kms on West Harrison.

If you go out in the bush a lot I cannot recommend enough getting your HAM license and good radio set up. A first aid kit is also not an option you need one in your truck and the knowledge to use it.

I would also highly recommend you take a basic tool kid along with any unique tools you need for your truck (Toyota a 54mm socket for wheel hubs). If you know of a common weak part also bring a spare.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    With my little hand held VHF (5 Watt) I have gotten 20kms on West Harrison.
    Hand held to mobile will get you that kind of range. Hand held to hand held will be significantly less. The antenna plays a large part in the radio's performance.

All that is topic for a separate discussion though....

OLC Member

Meh, on a group run, somebody will have all the stuff you need for recovery.

Perhaps I should have made that 'recommended' equipment. Stuff that any 'wheeler will eventually get. I feel that it's just not 'required' for your first time out, on a group run. Will edit my 'list' post.

As for comms, cb is cheep and you can go get it and install it, and use it the same day. Beats shouting and celphones...

Anything to add to the list?

Meh, on a group run, somebody will have all the stuff you need for recovery.
    Ahhh, your one of "those" guys.
    Last edited by AxelR; 05-27-2012 at 09:04 AM.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by AxelR View Post
    Ahhh, your one of "those" guys.
    yup. I need to borrow some beer from ya and use your fancy table for lunch haha. And stand under your awning in the rain.

However, I'm the guy with recovery gear, winch, tow strap, snatch strap, transit clusters, fluids, kitty litter, oba, tire plugs, etc.

I don't carry any spare parts though, because I drive an 80. And all my wrenches are metric.

If a n00b on a group run doesn't have a spare, or doesn't have front & rear recovery points, I'm not going with them....
    Last edited by 86tuning; 05-27-2012 at 09:27 PM.

What's a transit cluster? All of a sudden I feel inadequate.