Thread: Canoe hull fibberglassing

Default Canoe hull fibberglassing

I think I have this in the best place.
    So I picked up a canoe last fall that needs some TLC. It is getting warmer and the river has now opened up, So it is time to get this girl water ready.

I have ordered all the parts it needs from the local outdoor shop. but the hull of the boat has pitting holes and some damage on the keel due to being run into a rock or two.

I am wondering can I use Fiberglas body filler, sanding it down and doing several coats to fill in and reshape the damaged parts on the keel at the bow and stern.

I was then going to pant it with a marine pant and put Keel tape on the bow and stern keels to protect them. ( I will be river running with this boat)
    Last edited by Waytec; 04-09-2012 at 10:27 PM.

You can buy a little fiberglass kit from Canadian tire, which comes with fiberglass mat, and some resin. I would use this over body filler. Much easier to get a nice finish. And you dont need mat over the pitting, lust a nice coat of resin.

You can also buy this stuff from most boat shops

Cool. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread for any tips because I'm about to do mine too this year (16' cargo canoe). LR

OLC Member

Use gel coat thickened with cabosil to build up the damaged keel areas. You can color match gelcoat to a very close match with dyes.

Fiberglass body filler will pop off..

OLC Member

See if you can get your hands on one of the Gougeon Brothers booklets. They publish very simple instructions for repairing or building boats. There are a few golden ratios for different types of repairs and you might be surprised to see how much material you can remove (grinding) when making a strong repair.

You might want to consider vinylester resin or better yet epoxy for an old canoe repair. A lot of the old canoes were built with polyester resine which while cheap and easy to work doesn't bond well to itself once cured. You can get better results with modern material for almost the same price.

I have done this a few times
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1144336...87442121421218

If you are looking for material fibertek in Burnaby is usually pretty good. In addition to having a wide selection of material and tools the staff seem happy to help.
    http://www.fibertek.ca/

Be very careful repairing an old canoe. One canoe often leads to a second then third...

Last I heard Western Canoe still had the molds for the old frontersman canoes and he might still be selling gunnels and end caps.
    http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/
    Last edited by canoefish; 04-11-2012 at 06:51 AM.

We have an annual Daddy Daughter white water camping trip with friends from the Peterborough area every summer. Let me tell you, the 1976 Scott Wilderness canoe I have takes a Poop Kicking!!!! get's a new makeover every year and comes home with holes and no paint. I found that JB quickweld works amazing for permanent repairs and fast fix's. But I always carry Goop and ductape for the "Holly POOP! where did that rock come from?" repairs. Can be applied under water too. I have to take a couple picks of the bottom of my canoe and post it here!