Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: SSRIG

Default SSRIG

ii
    Last edited by ssrig55; 12-14-2012 at 08:45 PM.

yup it wa NASTY this morning, passed a cherokee stuck going DOWNHILL as he has eased into the snow (probly for some traction) and just stopped with three tires firmly on the black ice.

Anyway on with (the rest of) your build

After searching for a while for some good quality access hatch doors that are ready made, then even buying some "made for RV" doors that turned out to be hunks of junk! I decided to take the time and try to make my own. I need at least three of different sizes and maybe one more??, They need to be strong enough that a butter knife couldn't get into it like the RV crap out there! I hummed and hawed for a long time and came up with this:

I welded up a 1/4" 2"x2" Al angle and a piece of flat bar 4" wide on the bottom for a frame,

this is where it is going.

Once the frame was made I took out the leftover cut out piece of wall from the main door that I had laying around and cut it down close to size.

It was made of two panels joined together to form a three inch thick wall, that is too thick for a door, so I set to cutting it down the middle along the inner glass section so I can have one side good finished fibreglass and the inside will be solid and either painted or covered with thin metal.

It took a couple of hours to get through it and alot of keeping it spread out so the saw wouldn't bind.

I was left with slabs.

Quazi fit it into the frame, I'll put an aluminum 1/8" 2"x2" angle around the door, a stainless steel piano hinge and not sure what kind of latch yet but something that will be secure enough.

This door will be the access for a slide out kitchen, a one burner stove, a BBQ, and will have cold and hot water taps for an outside shower along with access to some of the plumbing gizmos like a calorifier.
    Now to make a couple more while Im at it, the other frames will be made from 1/8" angle and not being a very good welder I am sure I will screw it up a bit. I have to get these hatches in before I start the permanent interior.

Nice work!

That snow we had last week seemed a lot slipperier than normal.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Good call but how come you never clean up the useless crap in my threads.

OLC Member

Nice rig btw. ckecked it expo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    Cleaned up the banter that wasn't needed... back to SSRIG's machine!

Huh?? whad I miss??

Quote Originally Posted by ytmonty View Post
    Nice rig btw. ckecked it expo.

Thanks.

This is why I was trying to buy these doors, they are taking alot of work,,

I bought a stainless steel hinge and mounted it, they come without holes and stainless is a pain in the a** to drill. And seeing how and where the door will fit in the frame.

Next up was the lock cut out and dry fit.

And made the hole for the plunger and dead bolt to sit in in the frame.

Last step for the weekend was to sand down the rough side of the door and saturate it with resin in preparation for paint. And still not done for a while

This weekend I continued toiling away on the never ending access door project,
    first up was to mount the door permanently with Sika along with the rest of the corners.

Test out the lock and fits OK, and you can see the gap between the top of the door and the frame, this is the next job, to cut and weld a 1"x1" angle onto the frame to make a lip where the weather stripping will sit and hopefully water proof the door.

I booger welded the angles as they wont be seen! Definitely harder to weld two different thickness of metal, have to spend more time on the thicker metal side to get good penetration and less time on the thin side to not melt it!

But did a better job on the visible bits, so-so.

Sealed it all up with Sika and let her dry overnight, so all thats left on this door is the weather stripping and final layer of Sika on the door and its ready to install.

Then got on with the next two doors, welded the frames and leaned them up on the cut outs from the windows that are going to be the door, these two doors will be for under bed storage access.

looking good

I still need to become one with the tig when its aluminum time...