Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: welding???

Is that you Duncan????(Titan winches) that would be great! maybe in a week or so i could drop by and say hi..

OH and i did buy a welder.. the mastercraft one from Canadian tire... but i think i need to convert to gas... still dont know how to use it.. but thought since it was on sale i might as well get it.. lol Impulse buy

Myles

Hi,

Watch the vid's here :

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ur-skills/mig/

Google around, you'll find plenty of online tutorials for MIG welding, deff convert to gas much better weld quality. Get some scrap steel & play.... as the old saying goes.... practice makes perfect

Cheers,
    Andy

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles.artus View Post
    Is that you Duncan????(Titan winches) that would be great! maybe in a week or so i could drop by and say hi..

OH and i did buy a welder.. the mastercraft one from Canadian tire... but i think i need to convert to gas... still dont know how to use it.. but thought since it was on sale i might as well get it.. lol Impulse buy

Myles
    Hi Myles yes it is me.
    Sure give me a call and drop bye some time Preferably sooner rather than later i have a couple of shipments arriving the end of the Month and i will not be doing any welding or Fabbing untill i get them sorted out. My Roof Top tents and Awnings are arriving so i need to figure out where i am stacking them.
    Cheers
    Duncan

Thanks Andy, i will look around and starts playing around i guess.. i got in contact with a guy from praxair so im trying to see what a conversion will cost... but for now playing around is a good start... gonna upsize the panel so i can run without tripping the breakers... lol

Sounds good Duncan! ill be in touch soon...

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    I have a Millermatic 175. 220V welder and it can do a max of 1/4" steel... and does so well. Love it. I took a one day course that was lame... and I'm not the best welder by any means... but I'm getting better!!

Is 1/4 inch steel usually good for making bumpers,sliders etc?Is that size usually strong enough for that sort of thing?Took some welding in high school,long time ago,would like to get into it again myself.

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    Is 1/4 inch steel usually good for making bumpers,sliders etc?Is that size usually strong enough for that sort of thing?Took some welding in high school,long time ago,would like to get into it again myself.
    Bumpers are always a trade off of weight against strength, a well designed bumper with boxing, triangulation & gusseting can be as strong or stronger than one just made out of thick material. All comes down to the design at the end of the day..... and to answer your origional question, 1/4" (6mm) is common in bumpers.

OLC Member

Hi there, I am new to these forums but not new to welding. Been a ticketed pipeline welder for 20+yrs. now. I have a lengthy background in off-road fabrication etc as a hobby. Couple quick pieces of advice; do not do the ext. Cord trick or mod the electrical panel if you are only renting. This could go south and you could find yourself in a lot of troubles. Even welding in the garage of a rental is a no no. Most people do not realize but you cannot just (legally) fire up a welder in your house garage without proper insurance etc. Sorry just see lots of fires and guys houses get screwed from renters trying to do this type of work in them. As for welders, don't impulse buy, do your homework , save your dough and get the machine that best suits your style or level. The machine you bought may be fine but will prob cost a fair bit to convert.

Quote Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
    Bumpers are always a trade off of weight against strength, a well designed bumper with boxing, triangulation & gusseting can be as strong or stronger than one just made out of thick material. All comes down to the design at the end of the day..... and to answer your origional question, 1/4" (6mm) is common in bumpers.
    3/16" is what I used. It is what 4x4 Labs, Trail Tailor, 4+Plus, Slee Off Road use on their bumpers. 1/4" is too heavy and is overkill.

I run a lincon mig pack 180
    i made my own plug and just tapped in at the dryer plug and put a recepticle box out side of the house beside the garage and i use a 30ft welding extension cord and make sure we dont run the dryer while i am using the welder
    built this this weekend for my neighbour

Attached Images Attached Images
    Welcome to Cooter's Garage

VA7HLG

[QUOTE=Jeremy"remember kids mud kills your cooling system and everything else.......just say no". [/QUOTE]

OLC Member

If you only have 110V. in your garage there are miler and other high quality welders that work on 110V.
    The wiring to set up a dedicated plug isn't hard, explaining to you insurance adjuster...
    When considering high load electrics distance is critical
    Cheers