Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: welding???

Default welding???

hey Guys so i finally found my stupid camera charger since i moved...

gonn put up some updated pictures of the rig... still a big work in progress but hey i guess it always will be!

i was looking into maybe taking some welding courses... possibly even buy a welder next year and i was wondering what kind of equipment you folks use and maybe even some suggested types of welding... i started getting into some intense talk with a buddy about the truck but i dont think i can do half of those things without a welder...

what do you guys think? not sure but i think i saw some pictures of a welder floating aroundon the forum... any tips? what works best for you guys?

also i have a slew of light im looking tobuy and install on the truck and i was wondering if i have all the lights and the winch hooked up to the battery if im over using it? maybe should carry a spare on the trails ??

oh ok cool... what kind of power source are you running that off of? what di it cost you ?

is this wired in your home? garage? workshop? (by home i mean a special outlet maybe in the garage... )

just wondering.. i dont think this is someting i can do myself... there are some pretty high currents and im by no means an electrician...

i will definitly need to do more research on this... not sure if my current electrical can support that.. plus im renting so electrical modification could be a no no ...

next year hopefully...

You could look into an extension cord for your dryer outlet that would convert to the style of socket required for the welder. Our dryer circuit is 30 amp service.
    Something you should still check with an electrician about.

interesting idea i didnt think about that... i could ask a friend to take a look... electricians are good friends... ill bribe him with beer lol

ya thats what i thought.... damn i dont have that kind of power in my garage.... too bad. i would still like to learn to weld though... i guess maybe in a year or so when i move ill check for that.. too bad... i think ill ask a friend about that dryer outlet SERO mentioned

Home Depot sells a pretty good book in their welding section, covers all sorts of welding. Also has a blurb about the dryer plug extension cord.
    I bought a little stick welder from Cdn Tire last year, in hindsight I should have saved the extra $200 & got the wire feed welder, they are alot easier to use.
    Remember: cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Prepping your metal makes it all work so much better.

that sounds awsome i will definitly head over there and check that out! thanks man .. atleast that way i can understand all the details... and maybe i can get one.. do you know how safe the extension cord is?

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles.artus View Post
    ya thats what i thought.... damn i dont have that kind of power in my garage.... too bad. i would still like to learn to weld though... i guess maybe in a year or so when i move ill check for that.. too bad... i think ill ask a friend about that dryer outlet SERO mentioned
    hi Myles i see your in Burlington if you need some advise or possibly even want to play around with either a MIG or TIG unit drop me a PM and you can stop by some time and give it a try
    Cheers

I STRONGLY encourage ANYONE learning to weld read this: