Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kakadu Camping Trailers

Default Kakadu Camping Trailers

Just found this:

http://www.kakaducamping.com/index.html

Makes me cry when I see the price, and think about how much money I have in mine, and how much time I spent on it. That's an awesome deal. Adam, abandon your trailer build and just buy this.

Looks good, I wonder how they'd hold up. Gives me something to think about since I'm not quite ready for building a trailer yet, but will want to soon.

The more of these I see the more I want to find an M101 and make a lid for it and mount a RTT on it. Cheapest option going right now if you can fine one.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

I don't actually think it'd be cheaper. Buy the time you buy an M101 and refurbish it and buy a decent RTT...

You might be able to do it but... it ain't easy. Trust me. I've got $3000 just in the RTT, and another $3000 in steel and other materials. That doesn't take into account running gear, fittings, consumables, etc. And I must have... I dunno 500 hours in it?
    Last edited by R_Lefebvre; 06-07-2011 at 04:36 PM.

I wonder how hard it would be to put a decent set of tires on there to match the jeep. Probably would have some clearance issues.

If I was to get a M101, it would have a camping labs RTT, a new set of wheel bearings and 12V conversion. The lid would be the only variable and weather or not I want a tail gate. I would not want to put a Magnolia on for a few reasons 1) cost 2) size 3) I would not want to tip the trailer with that kind of investment on the top of it.......$700 Camping labs it is for me.

It would be a lot more robust off road than that one linked above and offer more storage.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Hey Jeremy,

I'm new here and new to the whole camp trailer. Whats a Magnolia? I thought it might be a tent but...?

But I was thinking the same as Rob, it seems like it would certainly be competitive to building your own trailer w/ RTT.

Quote Originally Posted by JKMike View Post
    Hey Jeremy,

I'm new here and new to the whole camp trailer. Whats a Magnolia? I thought it might be a tent but...?

But I was thinking the same as Rob, it seems like it would certainly be competitive to building your own trailer w/ RTT.
    There a brand of Roof Top Tents, very nice very $$.

I agree to an extent Building a trailer will not save you any money for sure. It will offer you to ability to build it the way you want and in a way that suites you. Look at Robs trailer for instance, I have no doubt it cost more but he has got 3 x the materials in it and a $3000 Roof top tent on it. his has also got storage beyond belief.

This trailer that is linked is just a tent trailer mainly, they do not have any storage room for things like a M101 or a home build. If its just a trailer with a tent then why not look at an over test trailer.

Before getting any trailer you really need to sort out what you are going use it for. Then you can get the trailer to fit your needs form there....weather its a used coalman tent trailer or a customer one off Off-road trailer.

There are a few things that I would be worried with that trailer as well such as suspension, tires and height as well as over all toughness.

It is no doubt a very cool well priced set up for a niche market.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

Ya, I've followed his build a little bit since joining. Just never noticed the brand of tent on top. More fabricating then I'd be able to accomplish. I'd be more following along the lines of qcdavid's build with that little red trailer (which is basically like this). Cost difference, I'm not sure though.

I agree with Rob about the M101. By the time you get it up to spec and get a lid built, it'll be pricey. However you can get an RTT for less than $3000. I had a local fabricator modify his trailer design to my specs and add a lid with a rack so I could mount my RTT. The trailer came in at just over $2K and the RTT at just over $1K.

Regarding swapping out the wheels for matching Jeep wheels, I wanted to do the same thing. The bolt pattern is the same, 5 x 4.5 but the offset doesn't work. Can't fit the wheels on the hub without the tires hitting the side of the trailer body. I guess a set of spacers may do the trick but I'm not sure of the reliability of that setup over rough roads...