Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Security System Build

Ok, I finally got this project pretty much finished this weekend.

Here, the truck is loaded with all the gear I typically take with me. I've got my recovery gear, tools, a few spare parts, and some survival stuff in here. Normally if I was to try camping, it would get loaded on top of this causing the disaster you saw before. Now I have tons of space on the top shelf. Oh, and there's also a SmittyBilt WASP packed under there too, new addition. I wouldn't want that thing in the truck without protection. 20lb steel harpoon.

I'm actually kind of surprised how much space I have. I'll probably look at packing in some spare fluids etc. as well, something I've never done.

I weighed the main hoop section, 55lbs. A little more than I'd like, but not too bad. The shelf frame is about 10, and the plywood is not much. It's surprisingly not that much more weight than a couple of empty large Pelican cases, and this will pack WAY more efficiently.

I just have to figure out now what goes in the the cubbies. They used to be stuffed full of gear and emergency supplies, but it's likely they won't be easily accessible if stuff piles on top. So, I figure spare parts and rarely used tools (jumper cables). I used to put a fire extinguisher in one, but that won't work. I have to figure out the best place for that now. It's got a steel bracket, I wanted to put it hanging on one of the backstays, but I'm not sure the bracket would really hold. I don't think it's intended for that. Possibly standing up on the top shelf, secured to the vertical section of main hoop. But then it's behind things.

The anchor points are 1200lb D-rings bolted to the shelf frame. I've got 4 more I can use, just have the figure out the best place to put them. I might put some on the backstays, I wanted to be able to stretch a net across the back to prevent things from piling out when I open the door.

View from the back seat.

Last edited by R_Lefebvre; 06-13-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Really happy with this on the weekend. I even got my chainsaw, axe and shovel under there with still some room left! The bedliner is a bit slippy though. It was hard to strap my cooler down so it stopped moving.

I have no doubt I could pack the truck for non-luxury family camping with nothing spilling over into the passenger compartment, and only some light stuff on the roof like sleeping bags and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
    I have no doubt I could pack the truck for non-luxury family camping with nothing spilling over into the passenger compartment, and only some light stuff on the roof like sleeping bags and stuff.
    There is a surprising amount of room in the back of the disco once you go 'up' with the storage...

I'm going to make a small platform next that goes over the rear passanger footwell, will make a nice storage place for the heavy items. Did think about taking the back seats out but we quite often have friends in the back, so not a practical solution.... and with a platform the dog gets a larger bed.... she'll be happy

Yeah, I thought about the rear footwell. Could work while the kids are still little. But it's a pretty cramped space. Hard to access, so making a box would be difficult. Could work for a fluid tank too. Water or gasoline. Problem is if I did that, I'd want to use a pretty good fuel cell, and I doubt I'd find one of the correct shape.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
    Could work for a fluid tank too. Water or gasoline. Problem is if I did that, I'd want to use a pretty good fuel cell, and I doubt I'd find one of the correct shape.
    As Sceptre MFC's have a large neck hole, you could stuff them with fuel cell foam. I got one of the special cap wrenches & nipped the top up on mine last time out, no venting or leaking at all unlike it did the previous time & with foam in it you'd have a decent portable 'fuel cell'.

This system has turned out to be awesome. I don't regret not including drawers, even though it's less ExpoSecksi. It's a very minor hassle getting things from the back, but I have so much more storage room. *Flexible* storage room. The barrier is rock-solid, almost no noise from the mesh. I just need to add a few more tie-down points.

Very nice work Rob.....

Thanks.

Oh yeah, I might as well throw this in here. I did finally make a door panel for the back door. I think it's 18 ga (had it lying around) with more bedliner.

Very well done and thought out Rob, thanks for sharing the project.

I will say, the truck bed liner on the back is kinda... meh. It actually looks decent, and it's durable. But it's slippery. Stuff slides all over if it's not strapped down. I guess that's true of almost any hard surface, even some carpets. Wish I had a really good option to stick on it.