Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RTT from CarTopCamper

I remember when I was looking at this! I'm still a ways out on having the tent onto the truck but http://treelineoutdoors.com has turned up and I would be very interested in one of those.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by MatS View Post
    I remember when I was looking at this! I'm still a ways out on having the tent onto the truck but http://treelineoutdoors.com has turned up and I would be very interested in one of those.
    Those look interesting indeed, I will definitely be looking at those when I'm ready to replace this one. The idea of the aluminum honeycomb floor is certainly appealing, that should be stronger than pretty much anything else out there.

Those are pretty cool, designed in bc but built in China I imagine?

Although a comparable cascadia is bigger, comes with the Annex, and is cheaper.

http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.p...&s=615&&id=116

And any company that doesn't give a phone number or address on their website tell me warranty issues might be a pain in the butt. Their tents sure look good though!
    Last edited by Poopy; 06-26-2014 at 03:41 PM.

OLC Member

We are still looking and changing our minds all the time!
    Current favourite is the Tepui range... just seem to be a bit better than CVT but still looking and deciding!

OLC Member

tepui and cvt are the exact same product. just a different name. 99% of rtt in north america are made in china...including ARB.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    I know the original post is pretty old, but i have one of their tents. Ours is a brown instead of green and it's the biggest version they sell, but from the same place. A guy was selling one locally on kijiji with the annex room and ladder extension for under a grand that had only been used once, so I picked it up. The canvas is decent, rest of the tent held up about as well as you would expect from cheap Chinese manufacturing.

It's seen some pretty heavy use, but problems started pretty early on. The bolts for the mounting rails essentially ripped through the Floor of the tent driving down some bad forestry roads. This was one of our earlier trips in the year. The tongue and groove edges at the hinge side of the floor were somewhat flimsy too; kneeling on the seam would be enough to pop it apart most of the time. The biggest issue came at the end of last season, when the ladder slipped while my wife was climbing up. Her 110 lbs was enough weight for the hinge to completely buckle and half the upper supports to crumple. As I said before, the canvas was decent and It's held up well enough and sheds water well in heavy rain, but the floor and structure are lacking.

After one season of heavy use (almost every weekend)' the structure was pretty trashed. I did some pretty heavy fab work this winter on it, and it's good and sturdy now. But I don't feel it held up appropriately for what it is, even at a lesser cost. When I have some cash to burn, I'll be replacing it with a CVT tent.

If it was only going to see minimal or light duty use, then I think the tent would be fine, but you really do get what you pay for
    cvt is chinese made as well...i had a chance to compare mine from redarmy to a cvt...IDENTICAL. infact, replacement parts have all be sourced from bobby at CVT....its all cheap china stuff.

Just picked up a Camping Labs awning from a guy as I wanted a bigger one for the trailer to go over the kitchen. It is a couple of years old but has been used only a couple of times.

Identical to my CVT awning in every way. Identical. My friends Tepui was almost 100% the same as another buddy's CVT of the same vintage (both 2 years old).

Same stuff different label.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
    Just picked up a Camping Labs awning from a guy as I wanted a bigger one for the trailer to go over the kitchen. It is a couple of years old but has been used only a couple of times.

Identical to my CVT awning in every way. Identical. My friends Tepui was almost 100% the same as another buddy's CVT of the same vintage (both 2 years old).

Same stuff different label.

exactly my point.

plenty of ways to get into one of these tents sub 1000$ range. no need to pay markup for a brand name that is exactly the same as the **** u can get local for 800-1000$

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingg5 View Post
    exactly my point.

plenty of ways to get into one of these tents sub 1000$ range. no need to pay markup for a brand name that is exactly the same as the **** u can get local for 800-1000$
    Where - can I buy a RTT for less than a $1000 locally??? If I can do that I would be very pleased and surprised!

OLC Member

I paid 900 for mine may long weekend 2013.

Beast gear used to have them at 900 but looks like they raised it 100$ and is now 1000$

http://beastgear.com/collections/pro...roof-top-tents