Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RTT from CarTopCamper

Default RTT from CarTopCamper

I know you get what you pay for.. but paying $2500 for a tent hurts my brain, whatever is left of it anyway. Anyone have any horror stories from this company?

http://www.cartopcamper.com/index_fi...f_Top_Tent.htm

Less than $1000

looks like an ARb Simpson 2. You can get even cheaper ones from Camping Lab

Yeah I think if I was going to go with a China made RTT I would get a Camping labs. I do like the covered entry style of the Sampson III tho. I know Camping labs has a few other tent styles coming soon so maybe hold out for that.

Everything I have herd about Fernando (camping Labs) is that his customer service rivals ARB and that's a tall feat.

Camping labs is also free shipping in the US so you could get it shipped to Blane and save a bundle.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Both of those look pretty solid. Good price on both, and I just happen to be thinking about one too. lol

Thanks for the links!

I've got a Camping Lab and love it. Ordering was easy and Fernando gives great service. The Camping Lab doesn't have the over hang but in my case it's not an issue. I have it mounted on a trailer so I'd have to duck to get in with an over hang.

Quote Originally Posted by qcdavid View Post
    I've got a Camping Lab and love it. Ordering was easy and Fernando gives great service. The Camping Lab doesn't have the over hang but in my case it's not an issue. I have it mounted on a trailer so I'd have to duck to get in with an over hang.
    Mine will be going on a trailer as well... so that is good to hear. Love your trailer setup BTW.

Getting ready to start building mine up soon. Need to find a local fabricator!

OLC Member

We are also looking at RTT - the CVT from Bend Oregon is currently our favourite... a trip to collect makes a good trial run for the tent too!

Ya for $350 more to get a CVT seems a no brainer. I was just looking at them yesterday and they are currently out of stock on a few models.

Quote Originally Posted by BCBuddy View Post
    We are also looking at RTT - the CVT from Bend Oregon is currently our favourite... a trip to collect makes a good trial run for the tent too!
    I've had my CVT for 2 years now and it's been great, just wish I had the one with the overhang to cover the ladder.

OLC Member

I know the original post is pretty old, but i have one of their tents. Ours is a brown instead of green and it's the biggest version they sell, but from the same place. A guy was selling one locally on kijiji with the annex room and ladder extension for under a grand that had only been used once, so I picked it up. The canvas is decent, rest of the tent held up about as well as you would expect from cheap Chinese manufacturing.

It's seen some pretty heavy use, but problems started pretty early on. The bolts for the mounting rails essentially ripped through the Floor of the tent driving down some bad forestry roads. This was one of our earlier trips in the year. The tongue and groove edges at the hinge side of the floor were somewhat flimsy too; kneeling on the seam would be enough to pop it apart most of the time. The biggest issue came at the end of last season, when the ladder slipped while my wife was climbing up. Her 110 lbs was enough weight for the hinge to completely buckle and half the upper supports to crumple. As I said before, the canvas was decent and It's held up well enough and sheds water well in heavy rain, but the floor and structure are lacking.

After one season of heavy use (almost every weekend)' the structure was pretty trashed. I did some pretty heavy fab work this winter on it, and it's good and sturdy now. But I don't feel it held up appropriately for what it is, even at a lesser cost. When I have some cash to burn, I'll be replacing it with a CVT tent.

If it was only going to see minimal or light duty use, then I think the tent would be fine, but you really do get what you pay for