Page 1 of 81 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 1997 Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) FZJ80

Default 1997 Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) FZJ80

Well need a place to start chronicling all the work that will be going into this truck over the next few months.

The truck and its story:

I got this truck of a young lady that bought it in 2002 from Richmond Lexus. She paid $30+K at the time. Its a full load, 6cd stacker stereo, front and rear e lockers and so on. She got it with 120k kms on it and it was mint. After she got it things went down hill I think she was a poor driver as she liked to bump into things it seems. She had dogs all over the truck and damaged the leather beyond repair at this point I think. She did do oil changed regularly but any other maintenance was done down unless it made a strange sound or stopped working. She did not know what the h-n-l shifter was for and never used it nor did she know what "that funny diff lock switch was"

So I got the truck for a cheap enough price that's it worth fixing up I got it for 1/4 the price I had looked at other non locked LX450 and Land cruisers for.

To start with I am going to go over the entire truck and do a full baseline all fluids, filters changed with high quality synthetic ones. Full tune up, cap, wires, rotor, plugs, PCV and most the heater hoses PHH and all.

I have also ordered a OEM y pipe and double catalytic converter set up for it as the one that is on there is not OEM and making an awe full noise.

Also going to go over the body and fix some things. The body is in ok shape but it needs a rear life gate and drop gate. They have rust and I want it gone. I am also pulling the windshield as its been installed poorly with the old window gasket. It leaks, whistles down the hwy and was installed poorly so its started some rust in the upper corner of the frame (superficial) not to mention its unsafe the way it is. Its also missing the rear part of the flairs on the quarters and the pass side bumper end is smunched and hanging off. The rest of the body is surprisingly clean with no rust or damage.

From there I hope to have a good starting point (at least I know everything is changed) and can start fresh.

I need to do a full front axle rebuild as the birfs are leaking on this one quite heavily. At the same time I may upgrade the birfs and possible re-gear to 4.56's or 4.88's (more on this later).

I also plan on taking off the rear full floater hubs and repacking the bearing and inspecting there condition. (re gear at this time if needed as well)

I am looking at getting the same like CrimsonCruiser (mike) has its a good height, nice and complete to work with every component and reasonably priced.

I will then be getting I think 255/85R16 tires in the BFG KM2 flavor. I really wanted Duratracks but there limited on size. At this point I cant see the negatives of 315/75R16 making up for the off road improvement over the 255/85's. There is just to much of an overall performance hit with the larger 315's, Millage (even when geared), stopping power (a big one for me), and extra wear and tear on the drive line.

If I go 255/85R16's I may re-gear to 4.56 to off set the difference. Not sure if its needed or not though. I'm sure they would help when loaded move it along and up mountain passes.

From there its just things like ARB bumper, Rock sliders, interior storage and seat covers, stereo upgrade (blown speakers) and a deck that I can plug an iPod into.

My list in order will be:
    1)Baseline fluids and filters
    2)Full Tune up
    3)Body work and replacement gates (also going to get the truck fully preventative rust treated)
    4)OME lift
    5)Tires
    6)ARB bumper and sliders

There are going to lots and lots of miscellaneous things along the way like CDL switch and pin 7 mod. Canvas seat covers front two seats and 2nd row. Cargo barrier for dog and gear. ScanguageII for monitoring the OBDII system. Husky floor mats and cargo area mat. High quality headlight bulbs for high and low lights. Slee headlight rewire if the voltage at them is not strong. Slee cup holder (OEM) factory fog light switch x2 for lightforce 170's and rear flood light.

Let the games begin.

Pics from Mike at Killer Cruisers shop the night I picked it up.

Changing headlight and marker bulb.

Rear damage, bumper end cap and flair (flair also missing on other side as well).

Dirty engine bay:

Clean engine bay:

The rust you see there is the inner wheel wells and they are getting replaced, I have the replacements already just not high on the list right now:

Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01-31-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

OLC Member

Hmm driving by braile? maybe she was blind? Looks good from what i see here. Nice to see someone who's going to use it as a capable off road rig and not for caramel machiato runs. Altho those are ok if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by shancerlelby View Post
    Hmm driving by braile? maybe she was blind? Looks good from what i see here. Nice to see someone who's going to use it as a capable off road rig and not for caramel machiato runs. Altho those are ok if you do.
    I just want to look good in the line at Starbucks in the morning, that's an expedition right?
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

OLC Member

great, another truck to be jelous of.

Nice find Jeremy!
    Can you find me one too please!

Brad

OLC Member

off to a good start man... looks good jeremy. if you're wanting to put on 255's might think about either spacers, or pulling the flares as they look thin buried the bulk and width of a flared LX. thats just IMO of course..you may like the look. stock oem tires are 20mm wider...

cant wait to see more progress pics. oh, and if you want to squeeze out an mpg or so, do full synth in motor, diffs and tcase. not sure if it helps me much, but i average 14-14.2 mpg according to my corrected ultraguage. (btw i got the UG for $68 shipped to my door. mugh better deal than the SGII).

oh..and 80s specifically like oem toyota stuff...but im sure you knew that. where you guys getting your goods? i get 30% off at jim pattesons in surrey, but when i got my baseline stuff, i went with cruiserdan off ih8mud. saved me at least a couple hundred bucks.

since its an LX... i wont bug you about pink panties

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy View Post
    great, another truck to be jelous of.

Nice find Jeremy!
    Can you find me one too please!

Brad
    If I spent any more time looking for and at trucks my girlfriend would leave me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by d0ubledown View Post
    off to a good start man... looks good jeremy. if you're wanting to put on 255's might think about either spacers, or pulling the flares as they look thin buried the bulk and width of a flared LX. thats just IMO of course..you may like the look. stock oem tires are 20mm wider...

cant wait to see more progress pics. oh, and if you want to squeeze out an mpg or so, do full synth in motor, diffs and tcase. not sure if it helps me much, but i average 14-14.2 mpg according to my corrected ultraguage. (btw i got the UG for $68 shipped to my door. mugh better deal than the SGII).

oh..and 80s specifically like oem toyota stuff...but im sure you knew that. where you guys getting your goods? i get 30% off at jim pattesons in surrey, but when i got my baseline stuff, i went with cruiserdan off ih8mud. saved me at least a couple hundred bucks.

since its an LX... i wont bug you about pink panties
    If I do 255/85's I will be using a 1.25 spacer, still very undecided on tires and size right now tho.

The truck will get all Synthetic fluids as I find there much better for component life. I also gained a MPG or 2 with the 4runner doing the same. How dose the UG work? can you view and clear codes with it as well? I am looking at scanguageII right now but I like the look of the UG if its got the same features.

I use to work at JP Toyota in Surrey back in the day, still get staff discount there too. I get all my parts from Open Road Toyota in Richmond now, good friend former coworker from JP works there and I get a better deal yet again from him.

I ordered all the tune up parts today from Toyota plus a windshield seal........$400 All the parts are going to be OEM Toyota or Lexus parts I have learned the hard way how much better they are.

I am also getting a 2nd key cut.....damn Lexus and there inner cut keys $150 and needs to get cut in Toronto at Toyota Canada head office. Also order a factory alarm remote so we can see if it works too ($82).

I'm also putting together a Slee off road order as well at the moment (mostly toys, headlight harness upgrade, aux light harness, CDL switch, Factory fog light switch, e-locker skid and factory dash cup holder.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

Cool... but you can't have the same title "New Overland Project" as Mike does...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    Cool... but you can't have the same title "New Overland Project" as Mike does...
    I copied and pasted his title and then changed the year and model
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

OLC Member

nice rig!

expo that sucker with a wiffle ball bat!!!

looking forward to watching the build progress.

That's a nice ride and gonna be sweeter once it's had some love.

Very good idea on sticking to OEM for most things. It'll save you in frustration way more than the extra cost at the end of the day.

Word is to follow the FSM instructions on windshield exactly. Guess it calls for adhesive on both sides of the seal and some installer folks ignore that even when it's right in front of them. You've got the OEM window seal covered, so you're good.