Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to OC, Van Island 2000 XJ

Default Vancouver Island 2000 XJ - a build of sorts

Hello All,
    New member, just signed up and this is like post number 3. I would introduce myself, but no one wants to see pictures of me (trust me) so here is some shots of my XJ.

Started life as a bone stock 2000 Cherokee Classic. 4.0L IL6, stock, stock, stock. I got this from my Mother in Law when she decided to get a newer SUV (Mercedes LOADED). She had only had this for around 14 months, and on the highway one day the rad detonated! She lost all coolant in like seconds, and by the time she could safely get off the highway...blew the head gasket. It blew out, not in so luckily no water in the oil.

Head was tested for cracks, decked, a few valves replaced, fully rebuilt. New rad, hoses thermostat etc went in, the works. It runs like a top, great compression across the board and that is how I got it.

Stock with 235's on it...

The rear leafs were saggy, the shocks were shot (this I knew). The front and rear brakes were smoked (this I didn't know). Replaced Rotors, pads, drums, shoes, shocks (stock) and some bushings. I replaced all this with stock stuff...that didn't last long. When I ordered my leafs, I ended up getting a set of 3" lift springs with overload leafs for trailer towing. Of course I needed to lift the front to match. Started with a 2" spacer...stinkbug.

-3" rear leafs from Island Spring (custom set)
    -2" Energy Suspension Pucks
    -Bar Pin Eliminators front and rear
    -Sway Bar End Links

OK... now it looked funny. Nose down, skinny tires (brand new too) and not quite what I was looking for. So here came the next batch of bits... Tires and wheels first.

-31" Toyo Open Country AT from CL in Van
    -Allied Wheel Soft 8 from JC Whitney (smoking deal with free shipping to Canada)
    -Matching caps

Rubbed like mad... bummer. Needs more stuff (wife rolling eyes a lot at this point). Needed a little more lift, and some bits to make it ride better. Also, impossible to get a lifted XJ to properly align with stock LCA's so longer LCA's were in order.

-BDS 3" lift coils and 5000 Series front shocks
    -Rancho 5000 Series rear shocks
    -Rough Country X Flex LCA's
    -Some mild trimming

Getting there, but not 100%. I drove it like this for the better part of a year and a half. The tires were getting on in life and were a little hard now, so it was time for new shoes. In the meantime I had also added a front skid and other goodies.

Finally, got some new tires, Hankook RT03 MT. Excellent tires on and off road so far. Balanced well and feel good when to and from work on the tarmac.

I skipped over 100 mods and additions, interior, stereo, suspension, SYE etc, but you get the idea. Loving this truck, handles like a dream, lots of power and all in all a great family do it all vehicle. Now all I need is to go get me an old Military trailer and start building that Overland camper!!

One last shot in her natural habitat! lol

Thanks for reading!
    Greg
    Last edited by GregB_00XJ; 04-09-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Welcome!

Clean looking rig, looks great!
    There are a few members here that have XJ's.... Good knowledge base!

Mike
    '87 Land Cruiser HJ60
    '07 Tacoma TRD

For sure, good site.

Thanks for the comments, I am really in like with this Jeep. I spend a lot of time over at Jeepforum.com, same thing there, great KB.

See all you XJ'ers out there.
    Greg

woot another islander! where abotus in Vic are you? im quadra and mckenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
    woot another islander! where abotus in Vic are you? im quadra and mckenzie
    I am near Cedar Hill Cross Road and Blenkinsop...so we are practically neighbors. lol Small world.

Thanks TOS, I got it 2 years ago and it looked new!

ha nice!

Did a few more things to the Heep this weekend. Oil change with some Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer, and swapped out the stock 1 hole injectors for a set of precision injectors 4 hole. Needed a fuel injection service anyways... got re-certified and flow matched "clean" set for $90 bucks so yeah...better deal.

Other than that I am looking for a rear tire carrier for my jeep. Trying to get the whole bumper with a carrier, but they are silly expensive up here (in Canada). Thinking about fabbing up a rear receiver hitch style one...anyone around Victoria that welds and has some spare time in trade for beers and some Jeep chat? lol

More to come!!

For a rear tire carrier, check out Detours USA. I just got their Tailbone system. I found nothing but good reviews for it on NAXJA.org. Just send Mark there an email or inquiry form as their site lists most of their stuff unavailable currently (due to a back log of orders).
    Check my build thread for more details. I think they are near the bottom of the first page.

Price is $385 +shipping. If you can find a place to get it shipped to just over the border in Washington state, shipping will be about $60. Its a good deal.
    :
    The Green Submarine - Sold
    2006 Ford F250

VA7MKH

=============================================
    Buoyancy - The fine line between a ship and a submarine...
    =============================================

Quote Originally Posted by Spectyr View Post
    For a rear tire carrier, check out Detours USA. I just got their Tailbone system. I found nothing but good reviews for it on NAXJA.org. Just send Mark there an email or inquiry form as their site lists most of their stuff unavailable currently (due to a back log of orders).
    Check my build thread for more details. I think they are near the bottom of the first page.

Price is $385 +shipping. If you can find a place to get it shipped to just over the border in Washington state, shipping will be about $60. Its a good deal.
    Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I have been looking at those for the better part of 2 years. I spoke to Mark at Detours about a year ago to find out shipping options. I have family in Tacoma, that is pretty much my only option as getting one to Canada was like $400.00 in shipping.

They are an excellent tire carrier setup, very well designed!!

you could have it shipped to point to point in point roberts and drive down